Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy (PELD) Surgery in India
BestIndiaHospitals associated spine surgery hospitals are among the best spine hospitals in the world. These best spine surgery hospitals in India are now preferred destination for thousands of international patients for comprehensive management of spine disorders from correction of birth defects, treatment of spine degeneration, tumours and trauma, revision of failed surgery and surgical solutions for chronic infirmity and disability.
Our spine surgeons – few of the best spine surgeons in India perform Minimally Invasive Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy (PELD) Surgery at affordable prices in India.
Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy (PELD)
Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy (PELD) is quite a unique approach which is quickly getting popular amongst patients and surgeons in the treatment of nonsequestrated disc herniation (disc prolapse) as it reduces the post operative hospitalization and recovery time.
PELD or Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy is an advanced minimally invasive spine surgery done for the decompression of the lumbar disc space and removal of nucleus pulposus via a posterolateral approach. PELD is also a good treatment option in management of spinal tumors and structural deformities also in patients whose pain threshold is low or who are not responding well to conservative treatments like pain killers, anti inflammatory drugs and rehabilitation.
Who May Require Percutaneous Endoscopic Lumbar Discectomy (PELD)?
Individuals suffering from chronic low back pain and disability may benefit from a PELD procedure. It is often used to treat patients suffering from degenerated discs, bulging discs or herniated discs that compress upon the surrounding structures within the spinal canal causing nerve compression, sciatica and low back pain. It can also be used if the patient fails to respond to conventional management therapies including direct injection therapies for three months or more. The surgery is also found to be successful in resection of spinal tumors, fusion and structural deformities of the spinal cord.
The human spine is made up of 33 bony segments called vertebrae which are stacked one above the other. These vertebrae are separated by small, soft, cushion like structures called the intervertebral discs that act as shock absorbers. These discs undergo degeneration due to age related wear and tear, resulting in disc herniation or prolapse. They compress the surrounding soft tissues or nerves giving rise to severe pain. If the vertebral discs in the lower back or the Lumbar region are compressed, they result in pain and tingling in the legs and spasms in the back.
Procedure and types of PELD:
Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy is the ultimate form of minimal invasive spine surgery. It is an endoscopic daycare surgical procedure which is conducted in about 60 minutes, under local anesthesia with mild sedation. Patient is made to lie on his front on the operation table and exact entry point is mapped on patient’s body using image intensifier x-ray system. A small incision is made about 8-10 centimeters from the midline on the posterior part of the body. Now there are two different ways in which the inter-vertebral disc material can be removed (i.e. manually or using laser).
- Manual procedure also known as automated percutaneous discectomy involves insertion of a long spinal needle from side of back, directly into the disc, by-passing other bone and ligaments. Through this needle, guide wire is passed and after taking 5mm incision, dilator and working cannula are passed, through which endoscope is inserted. Camera and monitor is attached to endoscope and prolapsed part of disc is removed under vision.
- The laser surgery: is referred to as percutaneous laser discectomy (PLD), which uses an external imager called the fluoroscope to direct the probe. The probe delivers laser energy which vaporizes a part of the inter-vertebral disc material and decompresses the nerve root. The most frequently used laser for treatment is Holmium yttrium- aluminum-garnet (Ho:YAG) laser.
In either procedure, the wound is closed with single stitch. Patient gets immediate pain relief and he can go home in 24 hrs and can resume his work soon.
Advantages of PELD in India
- Surgery done under local anesthesia with conscious sedation
- No muscle, ligament or normal tissue damage
- Targeted fragmentectomy. (directly prolapsed disc tissue removed.)
- Minimal blood loss
- Patient can be discharged in 24 Hrs.
- No prolonged bed rest required after surgery. Can resume work sooner.
- Even prolapsed, migrated, extra-foraminal, recurrent discs can be removed.
- Very good technique for old and medically compromised patients.
How To get Started ? Get a Free Expert Opinion from Top Minimally Invasive PELD Specialists in India ?
Your case would be reviewed by best Specialists in India and an Expert Opinion with Treatment cost Estimate shall be sent to you with in 2 working days.