Kyphoplasty Spine Surgery in India
Kyphoplasty is a technique related to Vertebroplasty. The procedure differs in that a specialized balloon is placed into the fractured bone prior to cement injection to better expand a compressed bone and create space into which to deposit the cement. Kyphoplasty is also used to treat painful compression fractures of the spine. Potential candidates are evaluated prior to any procedure by our interventional radiologists.
In kyphoplasty, a balloon is used to create a cavity to inject the cement into. This procedure is designed to relieve pain. It can also improve spinal deformities from the fractures.
Advantages of Kyphoplasty:
- Major and continued reduction in back pain
- Sustained vertebral body height restoration.
- Continual improvement in quality of life
- Nonstop improvement in ability to do activities of daily living
- Important reduction in number of days per month that a paitent stays on bed due to back pain
Before the procedure
- Before the procedure to check your health, your doctor is liable to meet with you.
- You will also have testing done as this may include X-rays or an MRI scan to help your doctor see the fractures. Also you may have blood tests.
- Talk with your doctor about any medications you are taking.
- You may be advised to avoid eating or drinking anything for several hours before the surgery.
How is Kyphoplasty Performed?
During kyphoplasty surgery, a small incision is made in the back through which the surgeon places a narrow tube. With the help of fluoroscopy the surgeon guides it to the correct position; the tube creates a path through the back into the fractured vertebrae.
Using X-ray images, the surgeon inserts a special balloon through the tube and into the vertebrae, and then gently and carefully inflates it. As the balloon inflates, it elevates the fracture, returning the pieces to normal position. The balloon is removed and the surgeon uses specially designed instruments to fill the cavity with a cement like material called polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA). After being injected, the cement like material hardens quickly, stabilizing the injured bone.
Outcome of Kyphoplasty
Kyphoplasty is minimally invasive procedure, can be performed under local or general anesthesia as an inpatient or even outpatient procedure. After Kyphoplasty surgery pain relief will be immediate for some patients, while in others, reduction of pain is reported within two days. Patients can early return to their normal daily activities, although strenuous exercises, such as heavy lifting, should be avoided for at least six weeks.
Best Hospitals in India for Kyphoplasty Spine Surgery
How To get Started ? Get a Free Expert Opinion from Top Kyphoplasty Spine Specialists in India ?
Your case would be reviewed by best Specialists in India and an Expert Opinion with Treatment cost Estimate shall be sent to you with in 2 working days.